Saturday, February 22, 2014

Everyday Memory Making

This blog is about making life memorable - organizing your home and life so that memorable moments can happen, creating memorable spaces, moments and traditions; living in those moments and documenting them through journaling, photography, Scrapbooking and other crafts.

Today I'm going to share a few resources that help make life more memorable.

Everyday Confetti by Karen Ehman and Glynnis Whitwer is a year-round guide to holidays and special occasions. I am always looking for ways to make the every day special and to mark the special days in a unique way. Whether it be a major holiday or little known day of observance, the effort we put into taking time to  put up special decorations  or make a special meal are the things kids remember. Carlie still talks about the rainbow of fruit I created for St. Patricks day a few years ago. 

This book covers both major holidays and little-known ones with fun ideas for recipes, crafts, decor and mini celebrations. It is a go-to resource to add some magic to the every day.

Everyday Confetti is filled with ideas, recipes, the meaning behind certain holidays and other suggestions for traditions throughout the year.

Another way to make memories is to laugh. The art of telling a good joke is a useful tool for everyone, especially kids. The Big Book of Laugh Out Loud Jokes for Kids by Rob Elliott is filled with knock knock jokes, Q&A jokes, Animal jokes and more sure to entertain a group of kids. This book would be great to keep on hand in the car and to take in to restaurants for those long waiting times. Rather than everyone having their nose down in their phones, engage and laugh with a good joke. This book would be a great addition to an Easter basket.

Pinterest is one of my go to resources for ideas and planning. I have pin boards for different holidays and observances where I keep ideas I want to remember. 

Your calendar is an important tool to help you carve out time for these special moments. Each month I look at what is coming up. I mark special days and then decide what we might want to highlight. I go to my pin board for ideas and then pick one or two things I'd like to do and write down any supplies I need. 

For example, March is around the corner. There are a number of special days in March. March 4 is our wedding anniversary. Each year, we try to watch our wedding video. This year I'm going to get it transferred from VHS to DVD since we no longer have any VCRs. We also get a visit from the Leprechaun on St. Patrick's day and celebrate Fat Tuesday with a Mardi Gras party. Then we observe lent with some special traditions.

What are your special celebrations that make life memorable? 

No comments:

Post a Comment