Monday, October 14, 2013

Finding time for fitness

Day 14: 31 Days - Finding time for fitness

So, I did it. I caved in and re-joined the health club in my office building. I have been a member twice before. It is pricey in my opinion, especially since I can only go three, sometimes four times per week (we have a company brown bag lunch learning time we are required to be at on most Wednesdays during lunch). However, trying to fit exercise in on a consistent basis is extremely difficult. The only times I can consistently exercise are 5:30 a.m. and during the lunch hour. My mind and body are usually not awake enough to put in a good workout that early in the morning.

Going at lunch helps me have a healthier lifestyle in several ways. First, it gets me away from my desk. I often eat both breakfast and lunch at my desk and plow through the day. This way I get up and move and get my heart pumping. It also will help me to have more focus for the latter part of the day. Next, it will pump up my metabolism. (I can use all the help I can get here). Finally, regular exercise will help me reduce stress. (I believe excess cortisol is a factor in the difficulty I have in losing weight).

Previously, I was able to be pretty consistent in my workouts. So I am hopeful that I can find my groove again. A balance between working out at the gym, walking/running, fitting in my favorite dance workouts at home and yoga should help get me where I want to go.

Nevertheless, exercise is only 20 percent of the solution. Diet is 80 percent and the part I struggle with most. I'll write about that another day.

Quote of the Day
“Have patience with all things, but chiefly have patience with yourself. Do not lose courage in considering you own imperfections but instantly set about remedying them – every day begin the task anew.”
-St. Francis de Sales…

How do you fit exercise in?

No comments:

Post a Comment