Thursday, September 19, 2013

Honoring a Lifeline

Today I had the pleasure of introducing my dear friend Lisa Brown and honoring her with the
Lisa Brown DSAA
Volunteer of the Year
Down Syndrome Association of Atlanta's Volunteer of the Year Award.  I shared the story of the how a few weeks after my son was born, and we received his diagnosis of Down syndrome (Trisomy 21), Lisa became a lifeline for me as the first non-medical person I met with in this new world of Down syndrome.

Lisa's husband Russell and sweet son
I was uncertain, scared and completely in love with my new son and Lisa took the time to meet me for coffee and share her experience with her then two-year-old son who also has Down syndrome. She helped me to see that the future holds so much promise and she introduced me to a wonderful group of people who are walking this journey with us. Volunteers like Lisa, who go meet new families, organize mother's morning outs, playgroups, family socials and educational programs, facilitate Facebook groups and answer countless questions and phone calls are the heart and soul of the Down Syndrome Association of Atlanta and I am so glad she was honored today.


No comments:

Post a Comment