I discovered this one day when my oldest was a toddler and I was racing to get her to daycare and myself to school. I quickly grabbed our bags and my daughter and headed to the car, strapping her into her seat. When we arrived at daycare and I went to get her out of the car, I noticed I had failed to put shoes on the poor kid! I had no time to return home to retrieve them as I would surely be late for a staff meeting. Thankfully, a kind neighbor, who was a stay-at-home mom, agreed to run up some shoes to my girl. From that point on I tried to remember to keep an extra pair of shoes in my car (appropriate to the season at hand).
To make it a little easier during the time I had little ones, I made sure to keep some tried and true items in my car.
Baby Must-Have Car Items:
- Car seat (I know, duh)
- Toy bar that clips onto the car seat (My son was very entertained by his Tiny Love 00688 Musical Nature Stroll Stroller and Car Seat Toy)
- Cup holder
- Grocery cart /High chair cover
- Diaper changing kit (includes wipes, diaper and mat)
- Mirror (to see them when they are rear-facing)
- Seasonal hats
- Favorite blanket
- Small cooler with bottle, juice, bottled water and light snacks
- Extra baby wipes
- An extra onesie or outfit
- Socks and shoes (they are always taking these off!)
- Spare bottle or sippy cup with lid
- Crayons and a coloring book
- A TV with great DVDs like Baby Signs
What do you NOT need? Those bottle heater things. They don't work and if you really want to feed a warm bottle get a large cup of water from a drive-thru filled 1/3 of the way up with hot water and dunk the bottle in for a minute or two.
What can you not live without in your car for your baby?
Here is my full list of Must-Have Car Items.