So, when my husband asked for one of our favorite family recipes - Hungarian Goulash, I decided to try to find a way to replace the macaroni noodles.
Cauliflower - Goulash Mash up
- I began by making cooking up about 1 cup diced onion and 1 cup diced green peppers in a stock pot with some coconut oil.
- Once the onions were translucent, I added in about 1-1/2 lbs ground turkey.
- Once the turkey was cooked through, I drained the excess fat and then separate the mixture into two pots - one for the traditional recipe and one for my mashup.
- I added to both pots a 16 ounce can of diced tomatoes and two 16 ounce cans of tomato sauce with about a 1/2 can of water.
- I added into each pot salt and pepper (to taste)
- Next, I added about 1 tbsp garlic powder, 1 tbsp onion powder, 2 tsp oregano, 1 tsp basil and 1/4 cup Parmesan-Romano cheese to each pot.
- Meanwhile, I boiled two pots of water and added the macaroni noodles to one pot and chopped, fresh cauliflower in a steamer basket to the other.
- When the noodles were soft, I added them to one pot.
- When the cauliflower was tender, I drained the basket and added it to the second pot.
- After letting each pot cook for 10 minutes on medium, dinner was served!
The verdict?A perfect mashup. I got all the yummy flavor of the goulash without the refined carbs.
What are your go to mash ups?