Friday, June 6, 2014

Musings from a newly converted work-from-home mom

It has been a month since I switched from being a work outside the home mom, to a work from home mom. At the same time, I simultaneously welcomed the kids home for summertime. It has been a joy and a challenge. It is an exciting time. As I embark on this next leg of my journey, I am ever mindful of my mission to craft a remarkable life for my family. This move to be more present in my home is a big step toward that. I did not realize how much I was missing my spending 10-11 hours of my day away from everyone.



Initially, I have taken on just one client for which I am working 20 hours a week. It has truly been a joy to get involved with this non profit serving people with developmental disabilities. It is a cause near and dear to my heart. I have also set aside a few hours a week toward building my business - setting up an LLC, building my website, working with my fabulous graphic designer friend to craft a visual identity, reaching out to my network.

At the same time, I want my kids to get more of me too. To accomplish that, we have set up a good schedule for our day and for our housework/chores. So far, we have been able to keep up with it pretty well. We alternate days for cleaning on different floors of the house, so everything gets hit twice a week. Laundry worked on daily, as are mealtime chores. Projects are for weekends. We are currently working on clearing out the massive overgrowth in our back yard and I hope to do a bathroom/laundry refresh this summer as well.

Our daily schedule begins around 6:30 am with some quiet time for me and a little screen time for whomever has woken up. After breakfast, between 7:00 - 8:00, we launch into daily chores, learning time and active playtime. After lunch, we have quiet/nap/reading time. I work full eight-hour days on Mondays and Thursdays (my husband is home with the kids) and from 9-noon and 1:30-3:30 on Tuesdays and Wednesdays while the kids are having quiet time. While I am working in the morning, my oldest facilitates learning time and active play with my little ones. We try to hit the pool or do something fun together from 4:00 until dinner time. I aim to take Fridays off

I also try to include an outing several times a week such as the pool, park or library. Occasionally, we will do a big outing such as the Children's Musuem of Atlanta or Lake Lanier. Additionally, we have day camp, VBS, sleep away camp for my older one, and dance camps on the schedule. If we are able, we will take trips to Savannah and Saratoga. 

We have already planted flowers, gone to the pool, went to story time at the library, made some crafts and had plenty of cuddles and giggles. This promises to a full, fun summer! 

No comments:

Post a Comment