Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Superwoman Goes to Colorado

Day 8 of 31 Days: Superwoman Goes to Colorado

October 8, 2013 - I'm headed out of town to speak to a group of evangelical press about the great work one of my clients is doing. 

Planning for business travel is a challenge to be fully prepared professionally and make sure everything is handled at home. This is a longer trip. With my husband now working part-time, I'm thankful my folks live nearby and can help with my children's extra-curricular activities. 

To prepare for being away I have premade meals, confirmed drop offs and pick ups, and made sure school and dance uniforms are ready. 

To stay connected while away, the little ones can read through an audio book that I have pre-recorded for bedtime and I can FaceTime in with checking at the end of the day. I love technology.

I have been a full time working mom for 12 years. Since that time, I have also had the benefit of somewhat flexible schedules and work from home days at least once a week. At some organizations I was even able to bring a child to work with me from time to time. My oldest spent many summer days with me at the office; and my youngest was able to spend eight weeks with me at one workplace when I returned from maternity leave. This has made a huge difference. 

There is still mommy guilt when I have to work late or have a heavy travel schedule. But I know God has led me to this fabulous career where I get to work with amazing organizations impacting the world for Christ.

I also know I need to be diligent to keep my life in balance. I guess I'm working through that now. I'm a little out of balance (hence the topic of this series) and am trying to figure out what to let go of. I am called to be a wife, mother and to work outside the home. I'm at a place where I need to also put energy and focus on getting to a more healthy lifestyle, weight and reduce stress. So that means other things need to take a back burner. A tough decision, especially for someone who likes to be involved in a lot of things.

Do you work outside the home? What are your techniques to find balance? How do you prioritize?

No comments:

Post a Comment