Tuesday, October 1, 2013

31 Days in the Life of a Confessed Superwomen Syndrome Sufferer


So, I'm taking a challenge to write a blog post daily for 31 days (like I need one more thing to do, right?). 31 Days is an online writing challenge where we all link up on day one and then write about a topic of our choice every day in October. 

I did a webinar series last month on the topic of Superwomen syndrome and I realized that I am a classic sufferer. So I thought it fitting to share a little bit about my life as a confessed superwoman sufferer.

So first, a little background. What is Superwoman Syndrome? Its the struggle to be all and do it all. To bring home the bacon, fry it up in the pan and look good doing it. To be a Proverbs 31 woman. To be all things to all people. To be enough. It is futile, actually, because as one of God's children, we are already enough and we could never do it all on our own strength. And yet, we fall victim. 

Why does one become a sufferer of Superwomen syndrome? Genetics? Environment? Our culture? Neurosis? All of the above? I'm not sure I know the answer, but I will share my story.

So here is what is going on in my life right now:

  • I am a wife.
  • I am mother to three children, one of whom has Down syndrome.
  • I work full time at a public relations agency.
  • I travel for work and will be traveling three times this month. (One trip is to the Allume bloggers conference - yea!)
  • I live around the corner from my parents.
  • We recently moved into a 40 year old home and are renovating it, slowly. (Currently working on painting the brick walls on our main floor, building a mantle and installing our TV).
  • My kids are in three different charter schools that require parent participation.
  • We attend the church I grew up in and our kids have religious ed and youth group activities.
  • My kids participate in after school activities, tutoring and therapy.
  • I am the Girl Scout Daisy leader for my daughter's new troop. (I had been the leader for my other daughter's troop for six years).
  • My husband and I share the house work duties (that never seem to end). 
  • I blog and have taken on this challenge to write daily for 31 days.
  • I feel I need to take more action in actively discipling my kids at home so we are working through My 24 Family Ways by Sally Clarkson once a week and reading Bible stories nightly. 
  • My husband just got a part-time job after being out of work for almost a year.
  • I just launched a Mary Kay business to help grow our house fund.
  • I have been trying to lose 40lbs before I turn 40 this month, but I have failed and feel awful.
  • I have PCOS and Fibromyalgia.
  • I serve on the board of the Down Syndrome Association of Atlanta as secretary and as its Awareness Director.
  • I want to run a 5k. 
  • I like to read.
  • I try to find time to scrapbook.
  • I lose myself on Facebook and Pinterest.

I'll share more about my crazy life and my efforts to find balance and peace over the next 30 days! Thanks for coming by. Find other cool writers participating in 31 days here.



No comments:

Post a Comment