Wednesday, February 6, 2013

A Good Read for Middle Schoolers About A Simpler Life

I recently noticed that I spend a lot of time reading to my little ones and not as much time with my oldest, who can now read on her own. Since she is prone to watching TV or listening to music over reading, I have felt a tug to set aside a regular reading time with her.

A few months ago, I was introduced to Amish fiction and the Adventures of Lily Lapp series. I received a copy of, A New Home for Lily, book two in the series. The book follows Lily through her day-to-day life as a young Amish girl. What made this book particularly appealing to me is that it is about Lily's challenges in adjusting to her new life after her family moves from New York to a new home in Pennsylvania. Since we have just moved from one side of town to another, with a new school district and new friends and routines, the subject is particularly relevant to my girls. My oldest was even displaced from having her own room for a time, just as Lily is in the book. Knowing that the story is based on real-life memories of a former Amish girl makes the book even more enjoyable and interesting to my girls.

Lily's adventures provide excellent opportunities to learn more about Amish customs and make for great family discussion as we talk about what it would be like to have no electricity, etc. I also like that each chapter can be enjoyed as a short story and is perfect to share at bedtime.

I just found out today that Lily has her own website where young readers can have additional fun. I can't wait to show that to my girls. I will certainly be ordering book one as well!

Available February 2013 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

(This book was provided free from Revell Publishers for my honest review.)

No comments:

Post a Comment