Friday, November 9, 2012

Quiet, what's that?

Go.

Quiet. That elusive word. I long for quiet and stillness sometimes but am still thankful for the noise. That little voice waking me before dawn wanting me to go downstairs and get breakfast. That soft dog with a deep bark, rousing me out of bed for food. The voice of my toddler trying so hard to form words. Yes, even the smart tone from my preteen that reminds me how uncool I am. Quiet and stillness is unattainable at this life stage. From the "To Do' lists that run through my head on the way to work to the sounds of a busy office and phones and my fingers on the keys during the day. Someday I will dwell in quiet and will long for the days that were filled with noise. But for now I cherish every 5 minute break as I type with one eye half closed ready to crash into bed.

Stop.

4 comments:

  1. Honest words, Jennifer. Much of what we chase in this earthly life is elusive as you have pinned to "Quiet." Do you agree?

    Love how you're taking the time--in your busy now--to listen to the small voices inside your special sphere this (busy!) season of your life.

    Since God speaks in the quiet, in the small, in the still--isn't it possible that those small voices and soft nudges that rouse your half eye out of bed can be God speaking?

    Care for me. Care for me. Care for me.

    Sounds like that's what you're doing. Rising for, listening to, persisting to love--all of this--with the addition of busy, office working.

    Keep cherishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouragement Shannon. And the reminder that God is in those small voices. Very true and I don't for a minute take it for granted! (Though I do love when he leads me to rest in the mountains). I know Who gives us strength for the journey!

      Delete
  2. I understand your need for quiet!! Cherish the noise for now...!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, so true... we long for quiet now, but we will definitely miss the noise someday! :)

    ReplyDelete